ASSOCIATION FOR COMMUNITY RESEARCH AND ACTION
"Devoted to common interest community research, advancing theory & social action."

Thursday, February 3, 2011

57% Delhiites live in their own accomodation: Report

Around 57 percent of Delhi's population live in their own accommodation, 94 per cent of households have toilet facilities and 92 per cent families have pucca structures.

These are some of the interesting facts mentioned in a report, "Housing Conditions in Delhi," released by Urban Development Minister.

The report, prepared by the Directorate of Economics and Statistics on the basis of a survey conducted under 65th National Sample Survey Round during July 2008-June 2009, has vital information on various aspects of housing conditions in the capital city.

According to the report, there were 39.23 lakh households in Delhi out of which only 1.80 lakh were in rural areas and rest 37.43 lakh in urban areas.

Delhi has small families, the report said, adding that average size of per household is 4.44 persons. Further majority of the households in Delhi are nuclear family households instead of joint family culture. In urban areas, around 76 per cent of the total households were having one married couple, 8 per cent having two married couples and 2 per cent having three or more married couples," the report said.

The capital has around 92 per cent of total households with pucca structure, 5 per cent with semi-pucca structure and only 3 per cent having 'kuccha' structure.

Most of the buildings in which families were staying were being used only for residential purposes. About 89 per cent buildings were being used for residential purposes and 10 per cent for residential-cum-commercial purposes, the report said.

While 51 per cent (20 lakh) of total households were residing in independent houses, 18 per cent (7.17 lakh) were in flats.

As regards ownership of buildings where households were residing was concerned, around 37 per cent (14.41 lakh) were in hired accommodation, 11.5 per cent (1.66 lakh) were in employer's quarters and around 57 per cent (22 lakh) were residing in their own accommodation, the report said.

The survey revealed that in case of 79 per cent of the total households, the age of their dwelling units was less than 20 years, in case of 18 per cent it was between 20-40 years and in case of 4 per cent, it was more than 40 years.

Further it revealed that in case of 80 per cent of the total households, plinth area of their houses was up to 75 sq. Metres and for the remaining 20 per cent it was more than 75 sq. Metres.

The survey said around 90 per cent families in the megametropolis have toilet facilities.

It revealed that 63 per cent of the total houses were having this facility exclusively for themselves, while 20 per cent were using shared facilities and 9 per cent were using public toilets.

As far as occupation of households was concerned, about 27 per cent total households were senior officers and managers, 5 per cent each were professionals, technicians and office assistants whereas 12 per cent were sales workers.

The survey said while 44 per cent to the total households travel up to 5 km from their residence to their workplace, 26 per cent covered distances between 5 to 10 kms, 11 per cent between 10 to 15 kms and 3 per cent from 15-30 kms.

It means around 70 per cent of the total households were having their place of work within reasonable distance. Around 60 per cent of the total households were engaged in service sector, 21 per cent in manufacturing sector and 8 per cent in construction activities," it said.

Through the Lenses !

Loading...
There was an error in this gadget

Archives

 
ACRA | ASSOCIATION FOR COMMUNITY RESEARCH AND ACTION | ACRA website design